Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson - Jann S. Wenner and Corey Seymour



Reading this decent oral biography of Hunter S. Thompson, I was reminded of how much I used to love Hunter S. Thompson's writing. Still do, I guess, but I don't think I've read anything by him since he killed himself. I don't know why. I'd try to be clever and say something bad about the association with Johnny Depp, but I don't think that's it. I am definitely going to read more Hunter S. Thompson soon.

This book offered plenty of insight into the life of the famous Gonzo journalist. Knowing a little about him, it was kind of what I expected - lots of boozing and drugging and erratic behaviour. Kind of amazing to think that he made it to 67 years old considering his hard life. One thing that annoyed me about the book was that Jann Wenner quotes himself extensively throughout and shapes the book through his, and Rolling Stone's, worldview. I get that you were there, man, but I don't need to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment