Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Paul's Boutique - Dan LeRoy




"Paul's Boutique" was released on July 25, 1989. That was the summer before my senior year of high school. My brother bought the cassette of the album while we were at our extended family's summer rental at Mitiwanga Park. This was last vacation that I ever took with my family growing up. Less than five years later, we were flying out to Ontario, CA for my brother's wedding. My brother bought this tape right after it came out from some discount store on Route 6 in Huron, OH. I bought the Doors "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" at the same time. I remember listening to both album on the beach that summer and not liking "Paul's Boutique" that much initially. It grew on me, and the rest of the world, and is now considered to be a classic.

I read both of these books this weekend. The "Paul's Boutique" book describes the making of the record. Boom. Simple. "Creative License" talks about the creative and legal issues involving sampled music and discusses "Paul's Boutique" and Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" and says, pretty much, that you could not make those records today because of the high cost of clearing samples. I guess the Beastie Boys would lose 20 million dollars on "Paul's Boutique" today. The high cost of samples is part of the explanation for why hip hop sounds the way it does today.

The authors of the "Creative License" book suggest that the sample clearance system needs to be fixed so people can make "Fear of a Black Planet" and "Paul's Boutique" again. I suggest that you create in the world that you live in and use the tools that you have available to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment