Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Horace Silver!








"For instance, Cleveland is a dead town for jazz.  It had two clubs, and the first time I played there with the Messengers, the response was great.  The last few times, though, the turnouts haven't been good.  I asked to find out if it was me or my group or hard times.  I found out that the people just aren't coming out anymore."

 - Horace Silver (1958 to Down Beat Magazine)

I guess he wasn't kidding.  Horace Silver played in Cleveland in Dec./Jan. 1955/1956, Sept. 1956, Jan. 1957, May 1957 and Sept./Oct. 1957.  After this interview, according to the Plain Dealer, Horace Silver did not return to Cleveland until May, 1961 to a different room out of the East Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment