Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Friday, February 28, 2014

Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77 (Sire, 1977)



In March, 2014, Uncut named its 50 Greatest American Punk Albums: 1975 - 1983.  I am listening to one a day and making comments.

Number 7 on the list.  Another new one to my ears.  I've always avoided the Talking Heads because I never really liked what I heard - minus some early demos that the Budget Rock Showcase was playing on WCSB - those, I liked.  Same deal with this record that I listened to a couple of times through on youtube.  Not my thing.  From the opening bouncy bass line and marimbas, the record is kind of lame white interpretation of same unidentified strain of black music.  They seemed like they were trying to be funky at times, I guess.  I really just don't get this.  The song "Psycho Killer" is on this one and that's the joint.  But, other than that, there is nothing here for me on this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment