Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Black Spring - Henry Miller



Continuing on with Henry Miller in chronological order. It was a weekend where I had a lot of time to read. "Black Spring" was written between the two Tropic books and is nowhere near as good. It's mostly Henry Miller spieling about whatever with no real story except for some stuff about growing up in Brooklyn and working for his dad - stories that he repeated frequently.

There were, of course, some good ones in this book. Including:

"A Coney Island of the Mind." p. 129

"Nothing has changed since I came down into the street to take a look at life on my own account. What I have learned since is false and of no use. And now that I have put away the false, the face of the earth is even more cruel to me than it was at the beginning. In this vomit I was born and in this vomit I shall die. No escape. No Paradise to which I can flee." p. 166

"Burroughs Adding Machine." p. 188

No comments:

Post a Comment