Sunday Morning Jazz and Blues

Sunday Mornings. 7 to 9 a.m. WCSB-Cleveland 89.3 FM or www.wcsb.org. Hosted by Mr. Suit a/k/a DJ Total Business

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Grunge is Dead - Greg Prato



I remember feeling like grunge was dead before it started. It was a stupid trend that was overly commercial almost right out of the gate. I was at the record release party for "Nevermind" and saw Nirvana at the Empire Concert Club shortly after the record came out. Urge Overkill opened and I thought they were they better band. I always liked Mudhoney but haven't listened to that band, not a note that I'm aware of, since "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge." Their covers of the Dicks and Spacemen 3 opened doors for me. I remember listening to "Badmotorfinger" on cassette in my brother's Renault Alliance and digging it. I met Pearl Jam when they opened for the Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chilli Willie at the Music Hall. Eddie Vedder was kind of quiet. We talked about the Screaming Trees, who I also met at the Babylon A Go Go for a few minutes before the conversation petered out. "Uh, do you guys have any beer?" I loved the Screaming Trees twenty years ago and listened to them again for the first time in well over a dozen years while reading this book. They rocked, I think, but I ultimately thought that I was wasting my time by checking them out again because you only have so much time to listen to music, and, you know, it's the Screaming Trees.

This book was decent enough and informative but I don't care about this music anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment